I suggest you ...

Unread items counter for each category (custom ones too)

It would be a real boost in UI to have an unread items counter near each category name (even the custom ones) + a small color/highlight customization panel to set the border of the unread items after each user preferences (or something similar on this idea).

268 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ismail LunatIsmail Lunat commented  · 

@Daniel - From a site's point of view, Unread Counters would make users come back to the site and check if any new & interesting articles are worth a read. If not, mark them all as "Read".

I'm moving from Google Reader and its an important feature I feel.
        If there are no unread articles, why would I click on that tag/folder?

• Joe IrvineJoe Irvine commented  · 

I would really like an unread indicator. I have many feeds that update very infrequently. As it is now, every time I log in I need to go to every category to see if there are any unread items waiting. In most cases, there are none. I don't need to see a count, just a color change or asterisk or something to indicate that there is unread content. Or maybe even simply hide categories with unread content.

• Eric MandelEric Mandel commented  · 

Coming from Google Reader, it's really helpful knowing which of my custom feeds have articles I haven't yet read. A major feature that's missing that competing products offer.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I wouldn't mind having them for individual feeds... Quite a few of my feeds update very intermittently, like once a week or once a month. It would be nice If I can see when they get updated. Maybe make it so that you can turn on or off the counters for each category, then I can just move all of the slowly updated feeds into their own folders.

• Miguel Angel IglesiasMiguel Angel Iglesias commented  · 

I understand that a counter could be stressful, but at least, or as an addition, it could be a good idea to know that a category does have unread items, even without a number. It is kind of unpleasant to have to search for each category to see if there is something to read...

• John PublicJohn Public commented  · 

I agree with Daniel. Unread item counters make it a chore, like email. For me it's supposed to be a leisure activity primarily.

• IBIB commented  · 

Yes, but as long as it can be disabled. Like Daniel, I find unread items counters a bit stressful and make the app somehow addictive. A "Mark all as read" facility might come in handy though.

• kckc commented  · 

I can't wait for this... I'm mainly using NewsBlur to read my feeds, but when this is implemented I'm switching to GoodNoows full time. GoodNoows' design is brilliant!

• PeterPeter commented  · 

... to expand on that. The way I use Good Noows I will have many, many new items in each topic each day. For instance I have one topic with the feed of many of my national newspapers which propably has hundreds of stories a day. There is really no-way I would be able to read them all (and if I could I wouldnt like to do so anyway), so a counter will just stress me out. The thing I like about Good Noows is that it makes this huge news stream, easier to collect and browse through.

• PeterPeter commented  · 

I agree with jeff. To me the lack of a counter is feature much more than a bug.

• Daniel FranzAdminDaniel Franz (Admin, Good Noows) commented  · 

Thanks for saying this Jeff. I totally agree. When we ship this it's going to be optional. We are not trying to mimic ordinary RSS readers here. Personally I hate unread counts. I lived without them when I read my printed newspapers and hey, I can't possibly read these 587 unread items anyway... It's unnecessary pressure for me. Still, it's obviously very important for traditional feed reader users. So we are going to address it...

• jeffjeff commented  · 

Now that I've been using Good Noows for awhile, I actually like not having an unread count. Otherwise there's always a part of me that wants to go through every unread item and mark it as read. When you eventually get around to this feature, could you add in the capability to hide unread counts as well?

• AmirAmir commented  · 

I also like to see the capability to see the number of new items in last week or last day. So I don't need to memorize how many it was, before.

• Adrian ApanAdrian Apan commented  · 

I understand ... Well I really like Good Noows and I`m currently using it beside Google Reader (i opt for a web rss reader because I`m a lot of time at work and to manage somehow the feeds here and at home + mobile). In any case I like this service so I hope it will add some vital (?) functions and without a doubt I will make the switch :). Will keep on eye on what is happening around here. Good luck with this project Daniel!

• Adrian ApanAdrian Apan commented  · 

I haven't logged in before I posted this idea :) in any case if my idea is too messy ask and I will give further details.

Feedback and Knowledge Base