I suggest you ...

'Flatter look'

I've been using GoodNoows for some time now. I like the 'newspaper' interface. And the wide range of layouts available. Also the Newstand feature is very nifty. However the interface does looks a little dated now. I first tried goodnoows in 2010 and it still looks more or less the same.

You could do away with the 'rounded' look and bring in a cleaner minimalitic 'flat' style thats being implement with Metro/Modern Ui and Google Holo/Card UI. A new font might not be bad idea either.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Shashank Jha shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminDaniel Franz (CEO / Founder, Good News) responded  · 

The design changed since 2010 but only small changes. I agree with your opinion and I’m working on a more modern design. But this is blocked by some more deeper changes, involving mobile and more responsive design. I promise to get it done asap.

UPDATE: I launched a new, flatter design. Got rid of most of the background patterns and images, without loosing the newspaper UX – I think. I’m still working on some deeper optimizations but am already interested in your feedback.

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Shashank Jha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You might have missed on these

The search bar needs some work. And a new set of icons is much needed too. Take a look at image, I've pointed out certain issues by taking outlook.com interface as an example. its without a standout design that's modern, efficient and responsive.

http://imm.io/1kwbO

• Shashank Jha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new design is certainly refreshing, without losing any of its functionality. You have managed to the retain the Newspaper UX, which is one of the strong points of GoodNoows. I have tried other alternatives like Feedly, Digg and AOL reader, and what kept bringing me back to Good Noows was the plethora of layouts available. And the the parallax effect looks really slick.

However there are a few issues that I'd like to point out/or features you might want to consider
    1.The 'loading' label/button has still not been flattened :P
    2.The website still feels clunky and slow at times, and could be more responsive.
    3.Badge support for unread articles.
    4.Options such as 'Mark as read - older than <no of days> (1,3, more than a week)
    5.Auto-save news stand settings and Esc key to exit.
    6.Themes/more colour schemes instead of just the default grey/black
    7. I'm not sure if this can be implemented or not but you could use services like Readibilty/Instapaper/Pocket to view the complete article within the the website.

(Windows 8 app Readiy, a feedly front end allows this. http://i.imgur.com/8vBZrwv.png)

Feedback and Knowledge Base