I suggest you ...

Give us the ability to export our feeds, for sharing, backing up, or switching services

123 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MitchMitch shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Daniel FranzAdminDaniel Franz (Admin, Good Noows) responded  · 

I am a huge fan of openness, interoperability, and free and simple export of data (you “own”).

I am working on an export feature but the XML that’s going to be generated probably can’t and won’t be RSS, ATOM, RDF, or OPML formatted.

Since Good Noows sources are/will not only be feeds but also website captures, API-delivered content, tweet streams and, at some point, potentially anything on the web, the exported XML will probably need to have a Good Noows namespace. I don’t even know yet if every resource will have an URL.

I am going to figure something out. Maybe I can manage to develop an OPML export for the resources that fit into this.

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Daniel FranzAdminDaniel Franz (Admin, Good Noows) commented  · 

Jonathan. Wrong tone.

This service is free. And we are not Google. We don't have any funding, so I'm currently working on this in my spare time, mainly fixing bugs and scaling the infrastructure. I can give you my bank account details, you transfer me ten grand, and then I can build features just for you. Until then, if you don't like Good Noows I recommend you don't use it. I also recommend not to spend an hour configuring feeds just for the purpose of exporting them later. Why would anyone do that.

To the others in this thread: I still agree that an OPML export feature is high priority and I'm still committed to developing it. As stated before, I just can't give a good estimate for this.

• Jonathan BartlettJonathan Bartlett commented  · 

I tried Goodnoows for about an hour and found it missing a ton of features. So after loading all my feeds and adding new ones, I decided to move to a different client. Now I'm reading that the GN doesn't have a export feature, nor does it handle issues/features within a normal amount of time.

2 years later you update this post by saying it's still being planned? Good riddance.

Hi Isabel, and all the other voters here,

We know we need to develop an export feature. We will. Until then, please rest assured that we won't just disappear with your data. We have no plans of closing but if we ever do so we'd allow you to export your data first.

Cheers,
        Daniel

• Isabel RiveraIsabel Rivera commented  · 

Hi. I am not good on software stories but I can see that I can not download my feeds in an archive to have a back end copy for security. As well I understand through these comments there is no new news about it, isn´t?
        It´s a pity because after Google Reader closed I thought I found the best feed reader for me with GoodNoows but how can I keep using it if anyday it desapears and I have nothing to move on??
        Thanks.

• JayJay commented  · 

"I am going to figure something out. Maybe I can manage to develop an OPML export for the resources that fit into this."

Is this still on your agenda.. ? Any news.. ? After all the request is 2 yrs old..

• Tyler RegasTyler Regas commented  · 

I can commiserate with you regarding the complexity of the target solution and the pain in implementation. It's no easy task. Might you be able to get syncing with Google Reader working first? I think a lot of people would be happy if you just synced up the feeds and groups, and Google has an API for this. If you offer that, then you can let Google do the heavy OPML lifting.

• LucasLucas commented  · 

C'mon guys. It's two years since topic was mentioned for the first time.
        I just need to have simple OPML export feature.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

I would also like to see this feature..

• ThomasThomas commented  · 

Any news on this?

Hi, this is not yet possible but it's a planned feature. It's not overly high prioritized but it's simple and I'll do it soon. Most Good Noows users are somewhat non-technical and they don't even know what RSS and OPML are. The app targets this audience but also wants to be attractive to tech people (e.g. users of other news readers). So it's always a challenge to integrate such things into the UI without getting the non-tech readers all too scared. But I'll do it somehow :)

• MitchMitch commented  · 

Also nice, & related, would be the ability to view RSS feed URL's after they've been put into Good Noows. If this is possible, I wasn't able to find it. Thanks for the quick response!

Feedback and Knowledge Base