Good News

Welcome to the Good News feedback and support forum. Found a bug? Got suggestions? Tell us what you think! Apologies for not being able to answer all your messages. But be assured that we consider all of them.

Before posting your idea please try to make sure that there’s no existing similar thread. Currently I can’t merge them and have to decline duplicates.

Many Thanks. Daniel.

1. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Auto-resize preview boxes when increasing the font

Using the Front Page layout, the preview boxes do not resize to account for the increased font size when using the font +/- buttons next to the filter source button. Thus, the text is always truncated at the bottom of the preview boxes. Using Control+Mousewheel is a workaround but then the pop-up window and everything is huge in the browser. So I'm constantly adjusting font sizes. Help! Running XP+Chrome. Thanks in advance!

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Broken in iOS 9

Good News is currently broken in iOS 9 - it looks like it's zoomed at 500% (you can only see a few characters).

Please fix. Thank you!

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Unable to see any content, just shows "Loading" at top of page when I log into my account

I am unable to see any content, just shows "Loading" at top of page when I log into my account. I just signed up for an account. I tried logging in via my gmail account...that worked once. The next time I logged in it didn't work. Also tried logging in with facebook. So all the ways I tried it just see loading at the top of the page. The panels show up at top of page and left of page, but no content will load. I've tried it with all of my plugins shut off in chrome, and I've tried…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Erik, thanks for letting us know!

Everything works fine for us. Sometimes feeds with invalid code or unescaped special characters in the content can temporarily mess up the stream. This is the only thing I can think of.

- Since you say “Loading” I assume you are using Good Noows in English?
    - Did you activate/deactivate or add any sources/feeds after you signed up?
    - Any chance you could open the Newsstand dialog and let me know which sources/feeds you have activated there?
    - Or let me know the email address you logged in with? (you can also reach me at support@goodnoows.com)

Apologies for this. I have no idea what this could be. Would be awesome if you could help us out. Thank you.

6. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. when i log in, it just goes back to the main goodnoows page.

I use twitter and only twitter to log into my account. it's been happening for about a week. i've used different browsers, but still no dice.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Signing in every day sucks

Almost every time i click on my link I have to sign in - other times I just click on my favourites and up comes my feed - why cant this be consistent?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm, you should stay logged in pretty much forever. It happens that your session gets destroyed when we make a deploy but if you have to sign in every day then something is wrong.

Is your browser configured to clear cookies/cache regularly or every time you close it?

Which browser and operating system are you using?

Which sign-in method are you using with Good News (Google, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, direct email/password sign-in)?

Thanks!

11. 'Frontpage' with latest news in categories

I would like to start the app on 1 page with the latest news from multiple categories (maybe 6 or 9 blocks and the ability to scroll down).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Replace OPML collection or 'delete all categories'

I would like to be able to replace my OPML collection without having to delete each category.

Or said otherwise: I would like to be able to remove all categories by one simple click.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. How do I add Good Noows when I click the RSS buttin on the browser?

When I click the Rss button I do not have the choice to use Good Noows. How can I add this?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. ideas

1-give the possibility to set as "unread" all (as the "set all read" one)
    2-give the news publication date and time
    3-give the "default" set of sources to other nationality too not only for the english speaking people (as the original google news do)
    4-thank you for your awesome work!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 – Yes, I plan to do that. There is a separate idea here in UserVoice somewhere. Please feel free to vote, to push it’s priority.
    2 – Good idea, will look into that.
    3 – We have default sources sets for EN, DE, ES, FR, IT, depending on which language you first register with. I’m working on a PT version. The main problem for me with other languages is that it’s hard to identify and find valid, frequently updated feeds with sufficient content from popular non-English written publications. Please feel free to suggest any!
    4 – Thanks!

15. Read without sign in

I hope you can make pages readable without signing in because I have lots of stuffs to share ... Is it possible to provide a link like http://whatever ... and it works like a webpage (just like Google Reader) ?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there. Thanks for the suggestion. We are working on a feature that will allow users to share their whole news stream with other users. Also, you’d be able to make your news stream public, i.e. to be found and followed by others. However, we probably won’t be able to make anyone’s Good Noows persoanl news stream truly public, i.e. accesible to non-GN-users. This is due to copyright issues in some territories and conflicts with other features we’re planning.

16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. fix this website

I've tried signing up twice with two different emails. In neither case have I received the signup conformation.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I can’t reproduce this. I just registeres multiple new accounts and got confirmation emails less than a second after clicking “Sign up” Let’s investigate this.

You are sure that the emails did not end up in a spam/junk mail folder of your email client?

Are you using Gmail?

Thanks

18. Fix Facebook RSS support

It appears that Facebook is currently blocking your service from seeing Facebook Pages' RSS feeds.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

It’s quite likely that we are being blocked by them. Twitter does the same. In this case we couldn’t do much about it.

This can also be related to request limits they give us. Can you provide me with a URL of an RSS feed that doesn’t work?

19. The screen-size of news for small laptops (netbooks)

Google Noows is wonderful app. But I have some problems reading news via this app. I have a small laptop (netbook) and when I read news, it is not easy to close the window, because the "close" botton is under the monitor's screen. That would be great if there was an option lets to change the size of news-screen that appears when you click any news. Or make a button on the top of the screen. Or maybe change the size of the screen.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Sergey. I see your point. We could fix this by automatically adjusting all the CSS dimensions depending on rages of screen sizes. Any chance you could provide me with the maximum screen size (or, even better, the available width and height in a browser window) on your netbook device?

20. Check if feed is compatible with Good Noows

I have two feeds which are not working in Good Noows. The fist one is http://www.deweekkrant.nl/rss.php/biltsche_courant which gives me a complete other content. The second one is http://www.bnr.nl/?widget=rssfeed&view=feed&contentId=1227456 which will not update.

Maybe it is useful when there is an option for Good Noows to check if the feed is compatible. Like giving you an error when it can't get the content, and why not.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The feed http://www.deweekkrant.nl/rss.php/biltsche_courant is valid XML but the URL itself is not correct (there is a slash and a pathname after a filename). So our system thinks it’s actually the feed http://www.deweekkrant.nl/rss.php
    We’ll make our system more error tolerant for these cases.

The feed http://www.bnr.nl/?widget=rssfeed&view=feed&contentId=1227456 is also valid but doesn’t have any content. We are going to improve our error/warning messages to indicate and reject empty feeds.

• Don't see your idea?

Good News

Feedback and Knowledge Base