Good News

Welcome to the Good News feedback and support forum. Found a bug? Got suggestions? Tell us what you think! Apologies for not being able to answer all your messages. But be assured that we consider all of them.

Before posting your idea please try to make sure that there’s no existing similar thread. Currently I can’t merge them and have to decline duplicates.

Many Thanks. Daniel.

1. Reuters Top News feed not working.

Reuters Top News feed not working for 3 days now. All other feeds seem to work.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Broken in iOS 9

Good News is currently broken in iOS 9 - it looks like it's zoomed at 500% (you can only see a few characters).

Please fix. Thank you!

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Signing in every day sucks

Almost every time i click on my link I have to sign in - other times I just click on my favourites and up comes my feed - why cant this be consistent?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hmm, you should stay logged in pretty much forever. It happens that your session gets destroyed when we make a deploy but if you have to sign in every day then something is wrong.

Is your browser configured to clear cookies/cache regularly or every time you close it?

Which browser and operating system are you using?

Which sign-in method are you using with Good News (Google, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, direct email/password sign-in)?

Thanks!

4. if the former functions work, don't change them!!!

Lately, goodnoows runs like s"#** everywhere I connect to, and with every browser. The easiest and older functions of goodnoows, now don't work fine. For instance, marking as read all articles at once, or just one of them: i have to push F5, 2 o 3 times to do it. In addition, i just don't understand the improvement of the ever-hidding filter bar, cannot be more annoying
    excuse my english

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m really sorry to hear that you are experiencing these problems,

>> if the former functions work, don’t change them!!!

This is not that simple in software development. Sometimes you have to make architectural changes to be able to keep evolving the product. For me all the recent API changes did not result in any problems but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any. I need your help here. Could you explain your “mark as read” issue in more detail? Especially, why, under which circumstances do you need to press F5 ? I really want to help here but I need to be able to reproduce the problem to fix it. Any details help.

About the filter/label toolbar: Apologies if you don’t like it. I will keep trying to think of improvements there. Just as an explanation: More than 95 % users do not use it. So I was facing the…

5. ... allow me to reach my account.

Hello, I'm trying for some days now to reach my account at GoodNoows, and would like to make some changes to the "Kiosk"-thingy.
    The screen blurrs out and that is it, I watched the loading icon long enough now. Is there some overload, some wrecked server ? Did I miss some update ?
    Thank you for yer patience, best regards.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for reaching out. I just tested and everything works normal for me. No known server issues.

A few days ago we had a brief database performance issue which made the site unresponsive for a while. Maybe you experienced that and your browser downloaded a partial file or your cookies are corrupted.

Did you already try to clear your cache (http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache )?

If that doesn’t work, could you try removing your cookies (http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cookies )?

If none of this works I’m happy to look into the issue. But I would need the following information:
    - In which language do you use Good News?
    - Which browser do you use (include version, if possible)?
    - Which operating system?
    - And if you let me know your registered email address I can look up your account in the database, make sure everything is good.

You can send this information to support…

6. when i log in, it just goes back to the main goodnoows page.

I use twitter and only twitter to log into my account. it's been happening for about a week. i've used different browsers, but still no dice.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. iPad Scrolling Fix

Here is a scriptlet that fixes scrolling on the iPad, feel free to use:

javascript:void((function(){ $('html > head').append($('<style type="text/css">body { background: white; }\n#content { -webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch; }\n.blog:hover { background: inherit; margin: 1px 0 1px 1px; }</style>')); })())

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Chris, awesome, thanks for the initiative.

I’m happy to use it but can you first describe the issue that this is supposed to fix? :) Scrolling works fine on my iPad and I don’t have any other error reports on this topic. Ideally, please state iPad model, iOS version, and browser. Thanks!

8. Fix Facebook RSS support

It appears that Facebook is currently blocking your service from seeing Facebook Pages' RSS feeds.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

It’s quite likely that we are being blocked by them. Twitter does the same. In this case we couldn’t do much about it.

This can also be related to request limits they give us. Can you provide me with a URL of an RSS feed that doesn’t work?

9. Check if feed is compatible with Good Noows

I have two feeds which are not working in Good Noows. The fist one is http://www.deweekkrant.nl/rss.php/biltsche_courant which gives me a complete other content. The second one is http://www.bnr.nl/?widget=rssfeed&view=feed&contentId=1227456 which will not update.

Maybe it is useful when there is an option for Good Noows to check if the feed is compatible. Like giving you an error when it can't get the content, and why not.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The feed http://www.deweekkrant.nl/rss.php/biltsche_courant is valid XML but the URL itself is not correct (there is a slash and a pathname after a filename). So our system thinks it’s actually the feed http://www.deweekkrant.nl/rss.php
    We’ll make our system more error tolerant for these cases.

The feed http://www.bnr.nl/?widget=rssfeed&view=feed&contentId=1227456 is also valid but doesn’t have any content. We are going to improve our error/warning messages to indicate and reject empty feeds.

10. How do I add Good Noows when I click the RSS buttin on the browser?

When I click the Rss button I do not have the choice to use Good Noows. How can I add this?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I'd like to have the read more button at the bottom and the top of the box that pops up so I don't always have to scr

in the box that pops up to read the news item, the read more button is always at the bottom and I always have to scroll even if I know I'm going to be going to the link no matter what. Maybe have the read more link even before the box as an option (like where the share button is)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

More votes for this?

Please note that if you always want to read the article in a new window you may completely disable the in-app reading dialog. A click on an article then takes you directly to the publisher’s website. You configure set this in the Settings menu.

12. No Hover Effects

Please remove the hover effects or allow me to turn them off.

I find them very distracting, especially on the iPad.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

They shouldn’t be there on mobile. This is a bug. We are looking into it.

Update: Chris, sorry but I can’t reproduce this. What do you mean by hover effects? At first I thought you are referring to the tooltips but I just successfully confirmed that they don’t appear on my iPad. Just on non-touch devices.
    Thanks

13. Imagenes no se ven

Las imagenes de articulos no se ven.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. allow feeds from fulltextrssfeed.com

I have several feeds I run through Fulltextrssfeed.com in order to read them in my rss reader. When I try to subscribe, it tells me there is not a funtioning feed, though I can view it in the brower. Please allow this source.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Timepiece, we are not deliberately disallowing any sources. It’s more likely that the feeds generated by fulltextrssfeed.com are invalid. Can provide me with URLs of example feeds that don’t work. Then we can look into it and maybe make our XML parser more tolerant for the malformations in these files. Thanks.

15. let me pay you!

This is an awesome service and I'd pay to make sure it never went away.

Of course I want skins and even custom headline generation. 5 columns of excerpt text. My choice.

But it's great, I love it, I've been looking for Goodnoows for a _long_ time. Thank you!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks a lot for the nice words.

The number of happy and loyal users is growing and growing and our infrastructure costs are increasing as well – without any revenue. We have yet to figure out if and how we want to make Good Noows a freemium product.

If you are seriously interested in “donating” please contact us at support[at]goodnoows.com

16. The screen-size of news for small laptops (netbooks)

Google Noows is wonderful app. But I have some problems reading news via this app. I have a small laptop (netbook) and when I read news, it is not easy to close the window, because the "close" botton is under the monitor's screen. That would be great if there was an option lets to change the size of news-screen that appears when you click any news. Or make a button on the top of the screen. Or maybe change the size of the screen.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Sergey. I see your point. We could fix this by automatically adjusting all the CSS dimensions depending on rages of screen sizes. Any chance you could provide me with the maximum screen size (or, even better, the available width and height in a browser window) on your netbook device?

17. ideas

1-give the possibility to set as "unread" all (as the "set all read" one)
    2-give the news publication date and time
    3-give the "default" set of sources to other nationality too not only for the english speaking people (as the original google news do)
    4-thank you for your awesome work!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 – Yes, I plan to do that. There is a separate idea here in UserVoice somewhere. Please feel free to vote, to push it’s priority.
    2 – Good idea, will look into that.
    3 – We have default sources sets for EN, DE, ES, FR, IT, depending on which language you first register with. I’m working on a PT version. The main problem for me with other languages is that it’s hard to identify and find valid, frequently updated feeds with sufficient content from popular non-English written publications. Please feel free to suggest any!
    4 – Thanks!

18. add statistics on read articles.

It'll be awesome to be able to track your personal reading statistics.
    Which sources do I read the most and from which categories? How do these values change over time?....this kind of stuff.
    Would be appreciated!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Improve the sign up/ Login system. Possible bug?

Today I've tried to login into the Good Noows Chrome app after a period of absence. First I tried to sign in via the google button (a few times) but was always taken back to the sign in page. Then, I tried to type my email address and password which returned "email address or password is not correct". I also tried various combinations of old passwords but none worked. And last, I tried to reset the password which was successful according to the email but still haven't managed to sign in.

Could you point me in the right direction and…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow option to email articles

Allow option to e-mail an article under Share.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Good News

Feedback and Knowledge Base