Feedback and support

Welcome to the Good News feedback and support forum. Found a bug? Got suggestions? Tell us what you think! Apologies for not being able to answer all your messages. But be assured that we consider all of them.

Before posting your idea please try to make sure that there’s no existing similar thread. Currently I can’t merge them and have to decline duplicates.

Many Thanks. Daniel.

Feedback and support

Categories

1. Because you don't have enough things to do =)

A mobile site or apps for the iPhone/Android would be awesome.

363 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Very pleased to announce that I have final gotten around to build a mobile frontend for Good News. Thanks to pandemic lockdown creativity. It is not yet packaged into native iOS/Android apps but you can reach it by simply pointing your mobile browser to http://goodnews.click – Also feel free to add it to your phone’s Home screen as a PWA shortcut via Chrome (Android) and Safari (iOS).

2. Once read or marked as such, I don't need the items to remain on my Good Noows page.

271 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: We have finally released a feature that gives you this functionality.

All opened articles will gray out now. You can also hide them completely from your news stream by activating the checkbox “Hide read articles…” at the bottom right side of the Settings panel.

It’s still not the traditional “Mark as read” feature you would expect in an RSS reader. But Good Noows is not a traditional RSS reader. We think we found a great, intuitive way to implement this into our user experience.

Let me know if you are experiencing any issues. All feedback is welcome. Thanks for all the votes!

3. This would greatly facilitate conversion to your new reader.

126 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks, good idea. Just a matter of feature prioritization… Are there more supporters for this?

Update: We just shipped a simple “Read later” button. It’s the star icon next to every article in your news stream. Clicking it will send the respective article to your Instapaper account (Create one if you don’t have on – it’s free). As soon as we find the time, we’ll integrate Instapaper in a more direct way than linking to a popup window. For now, we think this is a very good solution.

5. Login takes time and I have to authorize it every time - make Twitter remember my authorization?

Every tab on the site loads ever so slowly - please make it much faster.

67 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there. Reducing latency has a very high priority for me. But this is something I can only achieve step by step. So please bear with us. At some point I’ll offer you realtime pushed news items in lightspeed… For now we are heavily dependent on all the publishers’ servers where we are fetching the XML from. If they are weak then you have to wait. Nothing we can do…

Good Noows is very ajaxy. In general you should use a web browser with a decent javascript engine to master all the client side code. Google’s Chrome is a good idea there. Microsoft’s IE is not. May I ask your setup?

UPDATE: We just improved feed caching again. Additionally, and even more important, Good Noows now speaks the PubSubHubbub feed push protocol. As a result we are looking at much faster stream loading. Try it. The more people are…

6. For quickly reading webcomic feeds with full size images

51 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Wow, interesting idea. Can you please provide me with an XML feed with comic content? Then I am happy to look into designing a visual style that fits… Thanks

Update: Planned feature now!

Update: I just launched a visual style named “Comic Strip” (in the English language version). I hope this goes into the right direction. Feedback welcome.

7. To help reduce load times it would be helpful to allow users to set the maximum number of entries to display in each category as well as the maximum number to retrieve per feed. Also, user-ordering of the feeds by priority will help to reduce server-side fetches that are not cached.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

UPDATE: We just improved paginated article loading and feed caching again. Additionally, and even more important, Good Noows now speaks the PubSubHubbub feed push protocol. As a result we are looking at much faster stream loading. Try it. The more people are using it the faster the article fetching. Thanks for your ptience on this one.

8. I am grateful to see the 'mark as read' button on individual articles - it is a significantly useful feature. However, I also rely on a 'mark all as read' button so I can scan multiple articles and discard them at once - basically, every article displayed on the current category/filter. This includes deals and secondary news where I skim large numbers of headlines, but rarely actually read. It is the one feature that I need to successfully drop my local RSS reader and use Good Noows full-time.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We just released Good Noows 3.4 – with a ‘Mark all as read’ button. It marks all articles read that are currently loaded in your stream. For now, you can find the button in the tolbar at the top (the X icon, same as the ‘Mark article as read’ icon) but I think I’ll find a nicer spot soon.

All articles will be grayed out or hidden, depending on your preferences in the Settings menu.

Hope this helps!

9. 16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks. We are working on further adjusting the code for Apple’s special HTML/CSS requirements for tablets.

Unfortunately we do not yet have a current iPad testing device (we’re in Europe). For now we can only emulate an iPad browser with a desktop version of Safari. It would help a lot if you could monitor this thread and maybe give feedback once I changed the code. Apologies.

Update: I have now access to a testing device. There are a number of issues, most of which I already fixed. The scrolling issue is yet to be solved.

10. I will often go quickly through and triage new articles, marking as read those I have no interest in while saving the ones I do for later.

Often I have to open an article to see if it is really something that I would like to read later, or when opening it later find that it is far longer than I am prepared to deal with.

For these situations I would like to be able to mark the articles as unread, thus preserving them in GN rather than having to use a second service for this purpose.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This morning I launched a “Marks as unread” feature.

Make sure in the Settings dialog you have deactivated the option “Hide articles that I read from my news stream”. So after reading/opening an article, or marking it as read, it only turns gray and doesn’t disappear from your news stream.

Then the “Mark as read” button on the article will turn into a “Mark as unread” button, which does exactly that. Hope this helps.

11. You need make this button to make the reading more fast. I need click and wait opem the feed to "read", just make this button is i dont want read the feed i just mark the notice.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Working on it.

UPDATE: There is no an X icon next to every article. Clicking that will either gray out or completely remove the article – depending on you preferences (checkbox at the bottom right of the Settings dialog). Hope this helps.

12. 12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can now reach Good Noows also at HTTPS://goodnoows.com

Your web browser will probably give you a warning because of the third-party content in your news stream (images) but there is nothing we can do about that. We don’t have the capacity to fetch and cache images (plus it wouldn’t be legal).

Hope this helps anyway.

14. should not take hell of a time but would make it so much easier for the users to get more organized and really enjoy goodnoows.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You have a point there. More supporters?

Update: We are working on this.

Update: You can now delete the pre-chosen topics (not the feeds the topics). So if you don’t like all the pre-chosen feeds currently the simplest way to get rid of them is to create a new topic (folder), move all your feeds and the pre-chosen feeds you like over to the new topic (drag and drop the grip icon), and delete the pre-chosen topic(s). I never understood why you guys are bothered by the pre-chosen topics because if you don’t activate them you’ll never see them in your stream :) But I guess part of it is just the fact that they are pre-chosen. We’ll keep working on this but for now please just trash the whole folder. Thanks!

15. aka "Amazon-Empfehlungen".
    Brauchst du Code dafür?

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. wenn ich die Ansicht für ein Thema festlege dann ändert sie sich auch für alle anderen Themen. Besser wäre eine individuelle Einstellung

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Hi! Now is the right time to develop new features for Goodnoows. I would like an Android app (with a widget). :)

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is now a mobile version of Good News for both Android and iOS. No native apps on the app stores yet but you can add Good News to your home screen as a PWA. Just visit the site in your mobile browser.

18. As opposed to populating a single, long scrolling page all at once, populate a screen's worth of articles. Use a "scroll by screen" method to get to the new page. Not only allows a reader to get to the next set of articles (like flipping a page in a newspaper), but also allows optimization of how you populate the feed, reducing load times since you only need to get the articles to fill the current screen, and can load others on demand or predictively in the background while the reader is reading the current screen.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UPDATE: We just improved paginated article loading and feed caching again. Additionally, and even more important, Good Noows now speaks the PubSubHubbub feed push protocol. As a result we are looking at much faster stream loading. Try it. The more people are using it the faster the article fetching. Thanks for your ptience on this one.

19. The page does not display properly on latest Firefox builds - especially the layout selection and language/region selection drop-boxes in the right hand top region. The entire dropdown shows up in front of the content and refuses to go - and its not clickable.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. some of my feeds have basic names like "blogs", I need to be able to distinguish one "blogs" from another "blogs"

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Ok, I see. Are you referring to the list of feeds in the Setup dialog, or to the source line displayed with each story item on the main screen, or both? Thanks.

UPDATE: This feature has been released. You can now rename your feed titles.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?